1.5M ratings
277k ratings

See, that’s what the app is perfect for.

Sounds perfect Wahhhh, I don’t wanna

Theresa May still gearing up for crucial Commons vote despite reports, No 10 confirm

image

Downing Street have rejected the suggestions Theresa May could delay holding the crucial Brexit vote on Tuesday, despite reports.

A spokeswoman for Number 10 said the vote is still planned, saying : “The vote is going ahead on Tuesday”.

The Sunday Times had reported Mrs May was going to delay the Commons vote on the EU withdrawal, in a “frantic bid to save the deal”.

And in an interview with the Mail on Sunday, Mrs May warned that the UK “would truly be in uncharted waters” if her Brexit deal is voted down by MPs.

image

“It would mean grave uncertainty for the nation with a very real risk of no Brexit,” she said.

“We have a leader of the Opposition who thinks of nothing but attempting to bring about a general election, no matter what the cost to the country … I believe Jeremy Corbyn getting his hands on power is a risk we cannot afford to take.”

In a message to her MPs, she said: “If you want Brexit, make sure you get it, and that’s about this deal.”

The anticipated vote on Tuesday will see MPs deciding if they want to back Mrs May’s deal after five days of debating.

Cabinet ministers have apparently warned Mrs May she would have to stand down if the deal is defeated and she fails to secure better terms from the European Union.

Work and Pensions Secretary Amber Rudd is the first Cabinet minister to publicly discuss the merits of a “plan B” amid widespread speculation the deal will fail to clear the Commons on Tuesday.

Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn also said he would consider delaying Britain’s exit from the EU to negotiate a better deal if his party came to power.

“If we go into government straight away we would start negotiating straight away. If it meant holding things a bit longer to do it, of course,” he told Sky News.

image
Source: standard.co.uk news generalnews uknews

Chelsea coach Maurizio Sarri ready to use Eden Hazard in ‘false nine’ role as Belgian shines against Man City

image

Maurizio Sarri is ready to use Eden Hazard as a ‘false nine’ again in the future as the Chelsea manager called for his team to replicate their superb performance against Manchester City in the coming weeks.

After seeing his side lose back-to-back away games against Tottenham and Wolves in the past fortnight, Sarri made the bold decision to drop Alvaro Morata from his squad for the visit of unbeaten City.

Instead, he played Hazard up front and though the Belgian winger struggled in the early stages of the game at Stamford Bridge, he went on to play a key role in Chelsea’s opener after cutting the ball back for N'Golo Kante, who finished in fine fashion.

Sarri admitted Hazard - who was previously utilised at times in a similar role by former manager Antonio Conte - did not have the easiest of games but suggested he could use him up front again.

“We had Eden for the first time in that position [striker] and in the first 20 or 25 minutes we didn’t work well in the defensive movements in the opposition half, but fortunately we defended well in our half,” Sarri told reporters.

image

“We started to press better and after the first goal the game changed.

"He had some problems at the beginning of the match but he was great in the second half. Maybe he deserved to score and I think he’s a very good option [in that position].

"We will play like today in the future, for certain matches of course.”

The 2-0 defeat for City was their first in the league this season and leaves them in second place, while Chelsea stay fourth after Tottenham beat Leicester 2-0 on Saturday night.

image

While Sarri praised his side for their counter-attacking ability and performance levels against Guardiola’s men, he called for his players to show the same kind of determination in their upcoming matches.

“We played very well in the last few minutes of the first half, and the first 20 minutes of the second, and in the end we deserved to win,” he said.

“We’re very happy with the win, we know it’s not easy to beat City in this moment.

For me it’s not easy to win against Pep, as you know, so I’m very happy but now we need to find this kind of motivation and play with this level of determination and aggressivity in other matches, otherwise its useless winning matches like this.”

image
Source: standard.co.uk football

Fleur East gushes over ‘rewarding’ I’m A Celebrity experience as she misses out on final three

image

Fleur East missed out on a spot in the I’m a Celebrity final after being eliminated on Saturday night, praising her “rewarding experience”.

The X Factor runner-up, who took the competition by storm in 2014, lasted 22 days in the camp but fell short in the final public vote before the last day.

Joining presenters Declan Donnelly and Holly Willoughby, East said: “This is so crazy, it feels really weird - it’s real life in here!

“It was nothing like I expected. It was a lot harder and more challenging but [it was] so rewarding.”

East, 31, admitted that she “always looks for the silver lining” and took it upon herself to “keep everyone up” and make sure they were doing alright in camp.

She said: “I didn’t realise how much that was happening until people were like ‘sing me a song’”

The star also revealed that she turned out to be “braver” that she imagined she would be, having tackled a wide range of trials and challenges.

Earlier in the show, the nation was ecstatic as the final four tackled Celebrity Cyclone to earn their dinner.

The fan-favourite trial sees the celebrities battle a manmade waterfall, inflatable balls and gusts of winds to hold their star on their marker until the end of the trial.

image

Barrowman was forced to take a different position in the trial due to his injury, which left him wearing a protective boot for a sprained ankle, and stand on the sidelines throwing the stars to his campmates.

The final three will enjoy one last night in camp before tomorrow night’s live final when one of them will leave the jungle as King or Queen.

I’m A Celebrity continues Sunday at 9pm on ITV.

image
Source: standard.co.uk

Tottenham analysis: Mauricio Pochettino’s supporting cast steps up but Aurier injury creates Barcelona headache

image

Tottenham moved back ahead of rivals Arsenal and Chelsea with an impressive 2-0 win at Leicester City, despite resting Harry Kane and Christian Eriksen.

With Tuesday’s crucial Champions League group-stage finale at Barcelona ahead, Mauricio Pochettino left the attacking duo on the bench and Spurs suffered before Heung-Min Son broke the deadlock with a stunning goal on the stroke of half-time.

Dele Alli made sure of the result and reached a half-century of Tottenham goals after the break, as Spurs moved to within six points of the top of the table.

Dan Kilpatrick was at the King Power Stadium to provide analysis for Standard Sport.


Spurs support cast step up

For 45 minutes, Spurs looked toothless in the absence of Kane and Eriksen. None of the support cast of Heung-Min Son, Lucas Moura and Dele Alli looked ready to take centre stage until Son’s beauty in first-half stoppage-time.

image

The South Korean stepped inside Nampalys Mendy and curled home from 25 yards to score for the third time in four leagues games and give Spurs a barely-deserved half-time lead. After the break, Son turned provider, waiting and waiting before crossing for Alli to head home at the back-post.

Alli’s 50th Spurs goal was reminiscent of his first goal for the club – also a back-post header on the same patch of grass and against the same ‘keeper back in August 2015. The interventions of Son and Alli ensured Mauricio Pochettino’s gamble paid off and should give the Spurs manager confidence that his team can win without talisman Kane – and without a recognised striker – ahead of the hectic festive schedule.


Aurier injury leaves Pochettino with Barcelona headache

With 13 minutes remaining, Serge Aurier stayed down before limping off the pitch to leave Pochettino with an almighty defensive headache for the Nou Camp.

The Spurs manager has already ruled out Kieran Trippier, who exacerbated a long-term groin problem against Southampton on Wednesday, so Aurier’s injury leaves Spurs with just one right-back in Kyle Walker-Peters, who replaced Aurier here. The 21-year-old has made one other appearance this season in the League Cup win at West Ham, where he never looked entirely comfortable.

Assuming Aurier is not fit in three days’ time, Pochettino can either risk Walker-Peters against the might of Barca, who are expected to rest a host of stars, or play Eric Dier or Moussa Sissoko out of position. None of those options look appetising. Spurs cannot catch a break with injuries.


Vertonghen imperious

In better news for Spurs, Jan Vertonghen was back to his imperious best at the King Power Stadium.

It has not been a happy return to action for the centre-half since he returned from a seven-week layoff with a hamstring injury. He was left on the bench for the 3-1 over Chelsea before being sent-off in a 4-2 defeat at Arsenal, therefore missing the mid-week Southampton win through suspension.

Faced with a Leicester team who were missing their own England striker in Jamie Vardy, Vertonghen was nonetheless a brick wall, cutting over everything the Foxes chucked into the box. An early interception to stop Chilwell’s cross from reaching Kelechi Inheanacho was particularly crucial and, with Barca on Tuesday, this performance has come at the perfect time for Spurs.


Chilwell would improve Spurs

This was another limited performance from left-back Ben Davies, who offered next to no attacking thrust in the final third despite being rested against mid-week. Danny Rose did not look sharp on his return from a six-week absence against Saints but on the evidence of this season he should offer more than Davies against Barcelona on Tuesday – a game Spurs will likely need to win.

image

Long-term, Spurs desperately need a new left-back and Leicester’s Ben Chilwell is a not-unrealistic target who would instantly improve their first team.

Chilwell burst past Serge Aurier in the first few minutes and looked to get forward at every opportunity, at one point bursting past Harry Winks and firing wide. Davies did play a part in Spurs’ second goal with a clever inside pass to Lucas but he is not the rampaging type of full-back that Pochettino prefers. Chilwell potentially is.


Lucas change hints at Barcelona

When Eriksen did come off the bench after 66 minutes, it was a surprise to see him replace Lucas.

Given the form of Alli and Son, the Brazilian looked the most likely player to miss out on starting spot behind Kane at the Nou Camp but Pochettino’s decision suggested otherwise as he was given a 30-minute rest.

After beating Inter at Wembley last November, Pochettino warned that he would have to rest players against Barca, despite the magnitude of the game, so do not be surprised if one of Alli or Son is on the bench on Tuesday.

image
Source: standard.co.uk football

Firearms officers called to Peckham station after reports of ‘serious assault’ on train

image

Firearms officers have scrambled to Queens Road Peckham train station after receiving reports of someone being “seriously assaulted”.

Officers from the British Transport Police were called at about 8pm on Saturday night after calls about someone being hurt on a train flooded in.

Police said a “thorough” search was carried out inside the station, before a man was found with a “slash injury”.

The man was rushed to hospital, officers added, but his injuries are not thought to be life-threatening.

An investigation has now been launched to understand how the man was hurt.

Severe delays were reported from Southern Rail and the London Overground while the incident happened.

A spokesman for BTP said there had been no arrests into the shocking attack, adding: “Anyone who was on the train or at Queens Road Peckham station and witnessed what happened is asked to contact BTP by sending a text to 61016 or by calling 0800 40 50 40 quoting reference 602 of 8 December.”

image
Source: standard.co.uk news generalnews uknews

Leicester 0 Tottenham 2: Heung-min Son and Dele Alli help ruthless Tottenham put Leicester to sword

image

Goals from Heung-min Son and Dele Alli ensured Tottenham kept ahead of their top four rivals with a win over Leicester at the King Power Stadium.

The South Korean struck a stunning curled effort from 25 yards on the stroke of half time before Alli headed home 10 minutes after the break.

Despite opting to make five changes ahead of the crucial Champions League trip to Barcelona, including resting Harry Kane and Christian Eriksen, Mauricio Pochettino’s side showed they had enough quality to deal without them.

But it took Spurs a while to get going, with Leicester enjoying more of the early possession.

Still, Ricardo Pereira had to be on hand to deny Alli a tap-in before some excellent defending from Wes Morgan prevented the England midfielder from opening the scoring.

image

But it was Son who broke the deadlock with a real piece of quality. Picking the ball up on the edge of the area, he struck a curled effort with pace and finesse from 25 yards and it nestled into the far corner.

It was a real blow for Leicester who had defended valiantly before conceding with just seconds to go.

The Foxes responded well after half-time and Demarai Gray saw his long-range effort saved well by Hugo Lloris. But soon after Tottenham doubled their lead.

Son was once again involved, this time as the provider, as he crossed to the back post to find Alli ghosting in behind Ben Chilwell and head past Kasper Schmeichel.

Pochettino did bring on Eriksen and Kane in the closing stages to get some minutes under their belt and both came through unscathed as Spurs sealed another morale-boosting victory.

image
Source: standard.co.uk football

Man held for ‘attempting to kidnap’ schoolgirl, six, from Christmas fair

image

A man has been arrested after allegedly attempting to kidnap a six-year-old schoolgirl from a Christmas fair.

The shocking incident is said to have happened in broad daylight at 12.40pm in Egham, Surrey.

A 47-year-old man is accused of trying to grab the young girl on Egham High Street, after he was suspected of trying to lure her away with toys and sweets.

The man, Surrey Police said, is currently in custody.

An investigation is currently under way, and police have called for anyone who witnessed the incident, or who has any other information, to come forward.

The suspect is described as white, around 50 years, around 5ft 9 tall and of a slight build.

He was wearing a grey cap, a black jacket, jeans, trainers and glasses and was carrying a black rucksack.

Anyone with information can call police on 101 quoting crime reference number PR/45180130630

image
Source: standard.co.uk news generalnews uknews

Espanyol 0 Barcelona 4: Lionel Messi nets stunning free kick double in derby thrashing

image

Barcelona remain at the top of La Liga after thrashing Espanyol in the derbi barceloní.

Lionel Messi scored two outstanding free kicks with Ousmane Dembele and Luis Suarez also on the score sheet.

Barcelona went into the weekend as the La Liga leaders with 28 points with Sevilla missing the opportunity to move top after being held to a draw by Valencia earlier on Saturday.

Espanyol’s resistance was broken after just 17 minutes when Messi, who won the free kick himself, curled a superb left-footed shot past Diego Lopez and into the goalkeeper’s top-left corner.

Messi turned provider for his side’s second, finding Dembele who dropped a shoulder to deceive his marker before bending his own excellent effort into the far corner.

image

Suarez made it three just before the half-time whistle with Messi producing another moment of magic with 25 minutes of the contest remaining.

While he was a little further out than his first effort the result was the same - finding the top corner with another outrageous effort to take his tally for the season up to 17.

image
Source: standard.co.uk football

Chelsea to investigate alleged racial abuse directed towards Man City winger Raheem Sterling

image

Chelsea will launch an official investigation into alleged racial abuse directed toward Manchester City winger Raheem Sterling by a Blues fan during the club’s 2-0 win at Stamford Bridge on Saturday.

A video clip emerged on social media during Chelsea’s Premier League game against City in which a Blues supporter appeared to hurl racist abuse towards Sterling while he was collecting the ball from the byline.

Chelsea will now use CCTV footage as well as witness statements from security and stewards to determine the exact details of the incident - and will ban the fan for life should he be found guilty of racially abusing Sterling.

A Chelsea spokesman said: “We are aware of reports of video footage. We will investigate the matter and take the strongest possible action.”

A spokesman for the Metropolitan Police said: “We are aware of a video circulating online in which it is claimed racial abuse was allegedly directed at a player at a Chelsea v Manchester City game at Stamford Bridge on Saturday 8 December.

"We will review the footage to determine whether any offences have been committed.”

No arrests have been made, the Met added.

N’Golo Kante and David Luiz were on the score sheet as Chelsea became the first team to beat City in the Premier League this season.

image
Source: standard.co.uk football

Strictly Come Dancing judges accused of ‘undermarking’ Joe Sugg and Dianne Buswell for both semi-final dances

image

Strictly Come Dancing fans were fuming as they accused the judges of “undermarking” Joe Sugg and Dianne Buswell, who continued to fuel romance rumours with their semi-final routines.

The pair tackled two dances during Saturday’s live show - finishing fourth on the leaderboard with 59 during a crucial week.

However, the couple - who refused to deny dating speculation earlier this week - were praised for their “connection” during their Viennese Waltz to This Year’s Love by David Gray, with host Claudia Winkleman even making a nod towards recent reports.

The presenter gushed: “When you touched noses at the end we got very excited!” after the judges had all commented on the pair’s chemistry.

Bruno Tonioli said that everybody was going “ooh” when they noticed that “the connection was so caring” while Dame Darcey Bussell said the routine had a “lovely feel”.

However, Craig Revel Horwood was not so impressed saying: “Way too much rise and fall, all the movement was too exaggerated and it looked rigid. Not your best performance.”

image

The scores reflected the average comments, as the YouTube star managed just 29 points. Sugg’s second dance didn’t fair much better, with a score of 30 for their Tango.

Bussell said: “She achieved a lot of the moves without you. Not a bad performance, but not good either.”

And fans were outraged by the comments and scores, blasting the judges for “undermarking” the star.

One wrote: “My 3 votes have gone to @Joe_Sugg and @dbuzz6589 - severely undermarked tonight and he totally deserves to be in the final. #strictly.”

While another said: “Joe was so undermarked tonight smh #Strictly.”

“Hate how undermarked joe and Dianne were @Joe_Sugg @dbuzz6589 #Strictly,” commented somebody else.

At the top of the leaderboard, Ashley Roberts and Pasha Kovalev were tied with Faye Tozer and Giovanni Pernice on 76. Stacey Dooley and Kevin Clifton scored 75 while Lauren Steadman and AJ Pritchard were bottom with 54.

Strictly Come Dancing continues Sunday on BBC One.

image
Source: standard.co.uk